======================================================================

Congratulations on finding this small, little blog of mine! :)

======================================================================

Saturday 23 March 2013

Financial Literacy


Welcome back to PickMyBrain!

This week, we're gonna take a look at financial literacy. Recently, I've come to the realisation that I have little to no knowledge in how to manage my personal finance! Like, even if I have some extra money, I wouldn't know where or how to invest it to gain a higher return.

So, I started asking around. Most friends are either equally clueless, or never even thought about it. A few had some sort of idea. But the general picture is that, no one really knows how to earn more money! We're all on the fast track to be the middle class - most hardworking and least paid! In Robert Kiyosaki's terms, that would be the Rat Race!

If that's the case, how do we get out? The answer is obvious! Financial education of course. The public education system has literally zero emphasis on financial education. All they tell you is work hard, get a good job and retire at 55.

No one ever explained stocks, bonds, securities, etc. to me even up till now. Heck, i didn't even know how the banks work. I do now, fortunately. So, why aren't we teaching our kids what the Rich Dad teaches? Or at least basic financial measures? Why is it that our kids feel ashamed to say that they want to learn how to make more money? Does that makes us greedy?

Not necessarily. In this era, our purchasing power has become so small, that young adults are having trouble financing a car, a home, etc. But consumerism still teaches us to own this things, which are often times, way beyond our means. So, my personal motivation is to learn as much as I can about finance and investment to be financially independent ASAP.

In retrospect, the education system really have to do something about this. I figured someone must have seen this huge loophole besides me way before now. Therefore, the only explanation left is that we(the gov/big companies/banks) DO NOT want to teach our kids to be financially independent. A conspiracy? I think so.

What do you think? Drop a comment below!



2 thoughts:

If you want to learn about finance, fine, take a finance course. Anyhow, I don't live to earn money; I merely earn money to live.

There are finance courses out there, but I still think at least everyone should have some basic knowledge, such as personal budgeting, living within our means, preferably from high school. And oh, good motto you've got there.